[Nottingham] TALK: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 14:07:11 GMT 2007

Godfrey Nix wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 15:55 +0000, Martin Garton wrote:
[---]
> Oh no! Not at work that day, but now I have a Baha'i meeting, a PTA
> committee meeting and the LUG all on the same evening! It's just not
> fair!

That Thursday sounds nicely overloaded for you. LUG wins?

[---]
> Keeping it simple, I would still mention/discuss a) normalisation and b)
> referential integrity. Normalised databases are so important as they
> allow the design to be easily expanded (Just think what would happen if
[---]
> Integrity follows on from normalisation.

Good idea, and something I'm interested in seeing for how others
do/arrange it.

>> http://www.nottingham.lug.org.uk/node/89
>>
>> Any input (either here or on the web pages) is appreciated.

My thoughts are that it would be good to see how to get a database up
and running, clear whatever gotchas, and then show a simple example of
what you can do with it.

Have a look at the database command interface. What you can do with it.
What sort of things you can do for data import/export/backup.

And if the nominal "hour" permits, briefly show one or two GUI goodies
that let you play with a database.

So... Assuming that I want to inventory everything from under the stairs
and what's in my garage, how to do it given a bare Linux distro...

We've got the Navigation booked for next Thursday 18/01/2007.

General format for this year is to be social first Wed and talk third
Thurs, with beer meets inbetween. Not checked if any blue moons add any
glitches!

Comments always welcomed.

(The non-G Martin.)

martin at ml1.co.uk