[Nottingham] Ubuntu update wants to remove nvidia driver....

Ovid publiustemp-nlug at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 09:48:40 GMT 2007

--- David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm a little concerned about allowing it to uninstall the nvidia
> driver
> without there being any obvious replacement shown - unless it's been
> subsumed
> into one of the xorg or restricted packages.
>
> Can anyone confirm this is OK?  I've had nightmares in the past when
> an
> upgrade broke a video driver, then dependency hell prevented me
> simply
> reinstalling the uninstalled driver....

I am running Ubuntu and had the same concern but hey, Ubuntu's good and
the folks behind it know what they're doing, right?

It took one of my coworkers about an hour to get a crippled single
monitor metacity setting up and running again for me (I had a sweet
dual monitor Beryl running).  It was like that for about two days until
I found this:  http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/BerylOnEdgy.  That gave me
a different repository for installing the latest NVidia drivers.  Now
everything's fine again.

Cheers,
Ovid

--