[Nottingham] TALK: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Fri Jan 12 10:09:57 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 01:58 -0800, Ovid wrote:
> --- Godfrey Nix <godfrey at gnnix.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Keeping it simple, I would still mention/discuss a) normalisation and
> > b) referential integrity.
>
> I'll second this.  MySQL's getting better in this respect, but it's
> only *just* gotten beyond a toy.  With all due respect to MySQL fans
> out there, many people starting using MySQL because it is popular and
> free and have no idea how to design a database, how PostgresSQL can be
> safer in this respect, and why MyISAM is a Big Bucket of Suck that most
> (not all) developers should be taken out and summarily executed for
> using.

I'm no fan of MySQL myself, but I can't think where is possibly falls
down on normalisation or referential integrity?  Having said that, I
haven't looked closely at MySQL.  I use it when I have to and that's
about it.

I will be mentioning referential integrity and I might touch on
normalisation in my talk but I don't expect to mention MySQL much.

--
Martin.