[Nottingham] TALK: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Ovid publiustemp-nlug at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 09:58:28 GMT 2007

--- Godfrey Nix <godfrey at gnnix.co.uk> wrote:

> Keeping it simple, I would still mention/discuss a) normalisation and
> b) referential integrity.

I'll second this.  MySQL's getting better in this respect, but it's
only *just* gotten beyond a toy.  With all due respect to MySQL fans
out there, many people starting using MySQL because it is popular and
free and have no idea how to design a database, how PostgresSQL can be
safer in this respect, and why MyISAM is a Big Bucket of Suck that most
(not all) developers should be taken out and summarily executed for
using.

On the flip side, I've met some sharp MySQL who have actually read Codd
and Date and understand normalization, so it's not that all MySQL
developers are clueless.

Cheers,
Ovid

--