[Nottingham]: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Fri Jan 12 14:16:07 GMT 2007

> The MyISAM table space doesn't support transactions, ergo wont
> support foreign key constraints.

<other stuff snipped>

Thanks for your answers Andy.

I would just like to point out to anyone reading that my talk next week
is almost all at a slightly simpler level than the current level of this
discussion.

While what Andy and the rest of us are talking about is not rocket
science, you won't be expected to know what "transactions", "foreign key
constraints", and "third normal form" are in order to understand the
talk.  You may hopefully leave knowing what at least some of them are.

I just thought I'd mention that in case anyone is scared off coming by
the seemingly complex subject.  I'll be starting at a basic level.

All being well we could have a follow up talk covering some more
advanced topics (including technical differences between different
RDBMS) some time in future.

> Don't fall into the trap of assuming InnoDB is good for everything,
> and MyISAM is good for nothing !  It is *Postgres* that is good for
> nothing.

:-)

--
Martin.