[Nottingham]: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Ovid publiustemp-nlug at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 14:18:55 GMT 2007

--- Andy Davidson <andy at nosignal.org> wrote:

> Ovid was trolling,

Care to define trolling?  I can't tell from the context if you were
joking or not.

> Don't fall into the trap of assuming InnoDB is good for everything,
> and MyISAM is good for nothing !

If you're implying that I think MyISAM is good for nothing, remember I
wrote this in my original email on this topic (note the words "not
all"):

  ... MyISAM is a Big Bucket of Suck that most (not all)
  developers should be taken out and summarily executed
  for using.

You can read more on the topic at
http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/31890.  You'll find that I'm not
entirely dogmatic about the subject, but I routinely find developers
who can write brilliant SQL and think they understand how to design
databases and yet fail on anything beyond first normal form.  This
causes me untold grief when I'm trying to teach people how to build and
test systems and yet such a fundamental part of many systems is broken.

> It is *Postgres* that is good for nothing.

Now who's trolling? :)

Cheers,
Ovid

--