[Nottingham][Talk] *TODAY* Thur 18/01/07 Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 09:13:23 GMT 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 00:34, Martin wrote:
> Roger Light wrote:
> >> "Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL." - Martin G
> > Well that was rather good fun! Excellent talk thanks Martin (and
> > everybody else who joined in :)
> I'll concur. I'll add also that it was very interesting and a good deep
> rapid intro into doing something rather than suffering numbing
> documentation of the stuff. The laptop driven 1999999 spam entries was a
> fun example :-)

Yes, that was a good talk - thanks Martin G. Apparently the run through of the
talk took 8 minutes. It took 3 hours with audience participation and a
half-time break. I loved being able to interrupt

> > Someone pointed this out to me today and it's kind of related:
> > http://img.thedailywtf.com/images/200701/pup2/addedsql.jpg
> So how would that SQL sneak out?!

Photoshop? :)

BTW, regarding the Ingres rdbms that I mentioned I used to work with
extensively: just reading the Wikipedia page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingres) I see that it was the predecessor to
both Postgres and Sybase, and so, by extension, Microsoft SQL Server too! It
was started at UC Berkley and is now open source, although as I remember the
source was always available at cost.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--