[Nottingham] Which Linux?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 15:53:04 GMT 2007

Tom Bird wrote:
> Michael Leuty wrote:
>> On 20/01/07, John at tesco <john.ridgard at tesco.net> wrote:
>>> I have an old Dell laptop with a PII 333 processor and 128mb of ram,
>>> Which is going to be the best Linux dist to put on it to learn, I
>>> could do
>>> with support for a generic 802.11b wireless card.
>>
>> It's going to be very slow. I've installed both Ubuntu and openSUSE on
>> a PII 400 with 192Mb RAM, which both work but are slow.
>
> Not so slow if you don't run a fatty window manager.  Don't forget,
> there are alternatives to gnome and kde, personally I use fluxbox (a
> blackbox fork) which I initially started using a couple of years ago as
> kde was beating the crap out of my laptop, but now use by default even
> on the dual athlon.  THat said, things like firefox will still require
> their pound of flesh, but you'll have a bit more spare ram to give it.

If you're not fussed about KDE or Gnome, then you could try running the
Xubuntu.

Then again, there's always such as Damned Small Linux ("DSL"). Or even
install whatever without any desktop and just use the command line! ;-)

This could be an excuse for another LAN party soonish... Early Feb anyone?

Have fun!

martin at ml1.co.uk