[Nottingham] Which Linux?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sun Jan 21 00:31:49 GMT 2007

On 20 Jan 2007, at 15:37, Tom Bird wrote:

> Not so slow if you don't run a fatty window manager.  Don't forget,
> there are alternatives to gnome and kde, personally I use fluxbox
> (a blackbox fork) which I initially started using a couple of years
> ago as kde was beating the crap out of my laptop, but now use by
> default even on the dual athlon.  THat said, things like firefox
> will still require their pound of flesh, but you'll have a bit more
> spare ram to give it.

xfce4 has some of the eye-candy with some of the neater features of
the heavier Window Managers, too.

Nothing to stop you installing the KDE libraries and running your
favourite KDE tools inside xfce/fluxbox/blackbox/twm, etc.,etc. too..

-a

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
http://www.devonshire.it/  -  0844 704 704 7  - Sheffield, UK