[Nottingham] Eager Queues and GNU Hurd.

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 21:02:26 GMT 2007

Jason Cozens wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 21:06 +0000, Martin wrote:
>
>>> I've found a few references on this but I'm having problems getting the
>>> datagrams to go where I want.
>> Presumably, you want them to go /everywhere/. Is that not just a
>> function of sending them to the respective broadcast address for your
>> network?
>>
> My problem at the moment is I trying to set up several UDP clients on
> one computer I can set up additional addresses e.g:
>
> ip addr add 10.100.138.110/24 brd + dev eth0 label eth0:test

Just tried that and it works fine, including for routing.

> I can set up a single sender and receiver but when I try to bind several
> UDP clients I keep getting binding errors.

My only guesses are that of parameters and/or is the "eth0:test"
accepted ok? Convention usually is for numerical names, eg "eth0:7" or
whatever is unique.

How do you bind multiple processes to all listen on the _same_ port number?

Use one listener process that then uses shared memory to list what it
picks up for others to then look at?... Or use one listener process that
then forwards everything copied over multiple other local ports?

> There's a lot I don't know about UDP/IP yet so I'll persevere for a few
> more nights, unless anyone knows how to do this.

Let us know how you get on before losing too much time on that one bit.

martin at ml1.co.uk