[Nottingham] Linux PC super-cluster possible?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 23:22:46 BST 2007

Charles Samuels wrote:
> Martin wrote, on Tuesday 2007 July 03:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Is it possible to...
>>
>> Have a number of PCs, interconnected by LAN, appear as a single
>> multi-cpu system?
>
> check out OpenMosix, a kernel patch.

WOW! That's exactly it!

Except...

"Note that openMosix is currently only available for 2.4 series kernels:
a 2.6 series openMosix kernel is currently in development but is not
ready for production use."

OK, so what do I lose dropping back to 2.4 rather than a 2.6 kernel?

Even more interestingly, there's an LTSP + OpenMOSIX ...!

Ben, you like to try?

(I'll be driving, so no beers :-( )
(Or... When's the last bus back to Beeston?...)

martin at ml1.co.uk