[Nottingham] BBC iPlayer petition

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Thu Jul 5 12:57:26 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 12:48 +0100, Martin wrote:

> I feel this is more than just a case of Microsoft steals yet another
> monopoly position...

The BBC are in an tricky position.  As I understand it, they can't
remove DRM without breaking their existing contractual obligations.  At
the same time they can't be windows only and stay in compliance with
their charter.  In any case, open-source software based DRM is not
practical so even if it weren't windows only, it wouldn't be available
for Linux unless it used some horrible binary DRM blob.

--
Martin.