[Nottingham] BBC iPlayer petition

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Thu Jul 5 13:30:52 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 12:53 +0100, Martin Garton wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 12:48 +0100, Martin wrote:
>
> > I feel this is more than just a case of Microsoft steals yet another
> > monopoly position...
>
> The BBC are in an tricky position.  As I understand it, they can't
> remove DRM without breaking their existing contractual obligations.  At
> the same time they can't be windows only and stay in compliance with
> their charter.  In any case, open-source software based DRM is not
> practical so even if it weren't windows only, it wouldn't be available
> for Linux unless it used some horrible binary DRM blob.

Actually Free Software DRM, using unique key pairs, is just as
practical as proprietary MS DRM. The differnce being the Free
Software solution would be cross-platform, and freely implementable
on unsupported platforms. The similarity being that both are
fig-leaves to please suits working for the soi-disant rights-holders,
and do nothing to prevent either cracking, or real commercial
piracy which gets the programmes from other channels anyway.
<shrugs>

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org