[Nottingham] BBC iPlayer petition

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Fri Jul 6 17:05:29 BST 2007

On Thursday 05 Jul 2007, JJSH wrote:
> Now, above we have ~ a choice as long as you don't use the tax funded
> resource (roads), total choice ( i.e. don't smoke or drink) or no choice
> ( i.e. compulsory tax even if you never want to watch any BBC output but
> own a telly).

I own a telly and don't pay a TV licence: it's used only for playing
pre-recorded videos and DVDs, and I have written confrimation from the
licensing authority that I don't need a licence.

Nitpicking perhaps, but the issue is using it to receive broadcast signals.

> Now, the argument as to if the TV tax is  right and proper is, I
> propose, not one for the NLUG. My objection is that they are dictating
> what OS I will have to use for all computing purposes if I still wish to
> receive, via the iplayer, content that I have already paid the
> appropriate tax on . If this was a subscription, fair enough, it would
> be their product to specify whatever terms they liked. However, it
> isn't, it's tax!

I thought they had actually made a commitment to find ways of making their
output OS-agnostic - just taking longer over it for some systems than others.

--
David Aldred