[Nottingham] [Fwd: O'Reilly UK User Group Newsletter - Issue 07-07]

Michael Erskine (at home!) perl at tecspy.com
Wed Jul 25 18:34:05 BST 2007

FYI -- from Josette at O'Reilly...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	O'Reilly UK User Group Newsletter - Issue 07-07
Date: 	Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:50:14 +0100
From: 	Josette Garcia <Josette at OReilly.co.uk>
To: 	Josette Garcia <Josette at OReilly.co.uk>

O'Reilly UK User Group Programme
NEWSLETTER
Issue 07-07

Very important – Please read on

***Put Up a Banner Get a Free Book

We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their
web sites. If you send me your group's site with one of our RailsConf
Europe banner, I'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice.
(Further information on discount is available under “Conference News”.)

RailsConf Europe

<http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/railsconf/eu/>

Within a week, this newsletter will be available to be downloaded in pdf
format from the Developers Group web site at
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0707.pdf

You are welcome to create a link to it for your members' use. Previous
newsletters are available at –

http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0607.pdf

http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0507.pdf

http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0407.pdf

Our aim is to have both formats available at the same time, but that
might take us a little longer.

HIGHLIGHTS

O’REILLYGMT

NEWS FROM O’REILLY AND BEYOND

BOOK NEWS
- Books for review

- Coming soon

CONFERENCE NEWS

UPCOMING EVENTS

YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

O’REILLYGMT

O'ReillyGMT is a new blog from O'Reilly. We plan to bring you the
low-down on tech culture from Iceland, Russia, South Africa and every
place in between, from grass roots coding in solitary rooms, through the
hopes and dreams of start-ups, via the pioneering work done by
governments, charities and direct action groups, to the sizeable
contributions of the major corporations that grace this territory.

Our main line of reportage will be technology, but we're keen to dive
into ecology, business, media, the arts, academia whenever we learn
something we'd like to pass on.

But we want this to be a two-way conversation. Please let us know what
you're working on, comment on the stuff we write about, tell us what
we're doing right and what we're doing wrong. We built this site to
reflect what's going on: you know better than us, so please, join us!

Contact us – oreillygmt at oreilly.co.uk <mailto:oreillygmt at oreilly.co.uk>

BOOK NEWS

*Is your group interested in reviewing our books? *

*If so, send me an email with the delivery address together with the
book you would like to review.  I will arrange for a free copy to be
sent to you or the reviewer as soon as possible. When the review is
published, please send me a copy or the url. I would also appreciate if
you could send a copy of the review to www.amazon.co.uk
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/>*

Latest books available for review –

***ActionScript 3.0 Design Patterns

ISBN: 0596528469

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528461/>

***Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) for JavaScript Developers Pocket Guide

ISBN: 0596515197

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596515195/>

***An Introduction to Testing Web Applications with twill and Selenium
(Short Cuts)

ISBN: 0596527802

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/functionalwt/>

***Beautiful Code

ISBN: 0596510047

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510046/>

***Dynamic Learning: Photoshop CS3

ISBN: 0596510616

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510619/>

***How to Build an SMS Service (Short Cuts)

ISBN: 0596515138

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596515133/>

***Implementing BEA Portal 92 (Short Cuts)

ISBN: 0596514026

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514020/>

***Intel Threading Building Blocks

ISBN: 0596514808

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514808/>

***Learning Flash Media Server 2 (PDF)

ISBN: 0596510411

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnflash/>

***Learning Web Design, Third Edition

ISBN: 0596527527

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527525/>

***Mastering Perl

ISBN: 0596527241

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527242/>

***Photoshop CS3 Photographer's Handbook (Rocky Nook)

ISBN: 1933952113

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952116/>

***PHP and Smarty on Large-Scale Web Development (Short Cuts)

ISBN: 0596513798

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513795/>

***Programming Erlang (Pragmatic Bookshelf)

ISBN 10: 193435600X

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356005/>

***Securing Ajax Applications

ISBN: 0596529317

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529314/>

***Unobtrusive Ajax (Short Cuts)

ISBN: 0596510241

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510244/>

***Windows Vista Administration: The Definitive Guide

ISBN: 0596529597

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529598/>

***XML Publishing with InDesign CS2+ (Short Cuts)

ISBN: 0596513992

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513993/>

NEWS FROM O’REILLY AND BEYOND

---------------------

General News

---------------------

---------------------

General News

---------------------

****Maker Faire Austin Accepting Entries

We are accepting entries for Maker Faire Austin, which will be held
October 20-21 at the Travis County Exposition Center.  We are looking
for all kinds of creative and unusual projects in the spirit of Make and
Craft magazines.   If you live in Texas, or in a nearby state, please
consider participating in this fun event and tell your friends about it.

The deadline for entries is August 15.

<http://www.makerfaire.com/>

***Work for O'Reilly as an Acquisitions Editor

We're currently looking for an Acquisitions Editor for our Open Technology

Exchange division. The acquisitions editor is responsible for finding,
acquiring, developing content that can be distributed in the form of
books, articles, shortcuts [smaller chapter length documents], podcasts
and videos.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/j/135>

For more job openings, go to:

<http://jobs.oreilly.com/>

***Create Your Own O'Reilly Shirt, Mug, or Poster

In just three easy steps you can make a one of a kind shirt, mug, or
poster adorned with your favorite O'Reilly animal. Create yours now!

<http://www.qoop.com/photobooks/photofront/pub_store.php?pub_name=oreilly>

---------------------

Open Source

---------------------

***The Power of Google Gears

Google Gears is a framework for development browser-based applications

that can be used offline. In the second part of Jack Herrington's

introduction to Gears, you'll see how to use Gears for data entry and

batching, and learn more about how to leverage SQLite.

<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/06/28/the-power-of-google-gears-part-1.html>

***OpenGuides: City Wikis in Perl

OpenGuides is a Wiki that allows the contributors to build what are
essentially open source guides to cities. Kake Pugh has been involved
with the project and offers us a peek under the hood complete with
source code in Perl. She looks specifically at how OpenGuides rejects
spam postings and how its geographically oriented architecture makes it
a better choice than other Wiki frameworks for this type of application.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/07/05/openguides-city-wikis-in-perl.html>

---------------------

Digital Media

---------------------

***dekeBytes: A Taste of Vanishing Point 2.0 in Photoshop CS3

Deke McClelland takes a look at the new and improved Vanishing Point 2.0

Photoshop filter in Adobe's CS3. The Digital Media community can follow
along with example files as Deke melds an image around a virtual DVD case!

<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/06/15/dekebytes-a-taste-of-vanishing-point-20-in-photoshop-cs3.html>

***Advanced Aperture Techniques with Joe Schorr

Have you tapped the power of Album Picks or mastered the Primary Only
function? In this edition of Inside Aperture, Joe Schorr talks with
Derrick Story and explains some of his favorite power techniques.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2007/07/03/aperture-power-tips.html>

***The Lightroom 1.1 Library Revealed

In Lightroom's 1.1 Library module, you can edit, rate and sort images,
add keywords and perform basic image processing on one or multiple
images at the same time. Join us for a quick tour of its key elements,
including an explanation of the new "catalogs" (formerly known as
libraries) concept.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2007/07/03/the-lightroom-11-library-revealed.html>

---------------------

Mac/Apple

---------------------

***iPhone: The Missing Manual Sneak Preview

David Pogue's Favorite iPhone Tricks, perfect for the Missing Manual fan
who wants the inside scoop on how to get the most out of a new iPhone.

<http://missingmanuals.com/david_pogues_favorite_iphone_tricks.csp>

***Smarter Ways to Work with PDFs

Giles Turnbull examines several methods and applications for managing
your PDF collection.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2007/07/11/smarter-ways-to-work-with-pdfs.html>

***QuickTime Web Movie Secrets

QuickTime is still the best-looking, most flexible way to present video
on the web. Here's how to present multiple movies on a single page,
launch a movie in fullscreen mode, and even play a sequence of movies
automatically.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2007/07/16/quicktime-web-movie-secrets.html>

---------------------

Microsoft/.NET

---------------------

***Eight Reasons Windows Administrators Should Learn JScript Instead of

    VBScript

When it comes to writing WSH scripts or HTML applications, system
administrators can use either VBScript or JScript. Bill Stewart tells
you why JScript is your best choice.

<http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2007/06/19/eight-reasons-windows-administrators-should-learn-jscript-instead-of-vbscript.ht>

***Windows Wireless LAN Security Primer

If you've got a wireless Windows network, you're at risk. This primer
gives you a great introduction to what you need to know to keep it safe.

<http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2007/06/26/windows-wireless-lan-security-primer.html>

---------------------

Java

---------------------

***GMF: Beyond the Wizards

Using the Eclipse Graphical Modeling Framework (GMF), this article takes
the reader through a step-by-step creation of the construction of an
application using GMF. Beyond the wizards, get an introduction to GMF
'under the hood.'

<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/07/11/gmf-beyond-the-wizards.html>

***Enabling Peer-to-Peer BitTorrent Downloads with Azureus

BitTorrent is one of the more popular protocols being used for
peer-to-peer file transfers, and enabling your Java applications to use
this protocol has never been easier. With a little theory and a lot of
working code, this article shows you how to add peer-to-peer protocols
to your own apps.

<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/06/21/enabling-peer-to-peer-bittorrent-downloads-with-azureus.html>

---------------------

Web

---------------------

***Inside Adobe's onAIR Summer Bus Tour

For blog posts, tips, photos, dates, and more.

<http://www.oreilly.com/store/series/adl_onair.csp>

---------------------

Head First

---------------------

***Boost Your PMP Score

The authors of "Head First PMP" just put together a new critical path drill.

<http://www.headfirstlabs.com/PMP/criticalpath/>

***200-question Practice PMP Exam

Our practice PMP test is available for free from Head First Labs. Each
answer includes an explanation from the authors.

<http://www.headfirstlabs.com/PMP/free_exam/>

***Sneak peak of Head First SQL

Check out this exclusive sneak preview from chapter 7 that shows the
relationships that make Relational Databases work.

<http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfsql/sneak.php>

***Updated Code Samples for Head First Object-Oriented Analysis & Design

We've just put up new code on the book page for chapters 1-7 and
Appendix II.

<http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfooad/>

Conference News

*** <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/oscon/>
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/osc>
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/oscon/>
<http://www.energyinnovation.com/> <http://www.energyinnovation.com/>
<http://www.energyinnovation.com/>O'Reilly Energy Innovation Conference
- http://www.energyinnovation.com/
August 22-24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Use code "ei07usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

***Registration is Open for RailsConf Europe, 17-19 September, Berlin,
Germany

Put up a banner on your site and get a free book -
<http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/railsconf/eu/

Use code "re07usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the
registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:

<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/61/register.html>

For complete conference information, go to:

<http://conferences.oreilly.com/>

UPCOMING EVENTS (ORM = O’Reilly will be there)

*** MiniBar – London – 27th July and every month
Your Monthly Face To Face

You think about creating the next Last.fm, flickr, or Web 2.0 start up?
You think London lacks opportunities to meet up and discuss those ideas?

For those who don't have time to attend a full BarCamp, some of us have
come up with MiniBar, a chance to snaffle some free beer while
discussing p2p, Creative Commons, web applications, social networking
and general Web 2.0 mayhem & fandango.

It's fun, it's free and you don't have to bring a sleeping bag. Come to
Corbet Place for an early Friday evening get together at the Truman
Brewery (off Brick Lane, next to Spitalfields Market and Liverpool
Street Station). There's a (normal sized) bar, a DJ, and some nice
people to chat to. Who knows, you even might find out something you
didn't know. For the first one John Buckman of Magnatune.com and
Bookmooch.com will say a couple of words about music sharing, p2p
philosophy and Creative Commons.

We will also be trialling our very Situated Social Tagging system! Think
people, not URLs, and sticky-backed tags! More on the night...

The meetings will happen at the same place every month.

The meeting is organized by the people behind CreativeCommons England &
Wales, OpenBusiness.cc, OpenMute.org and ShiftSpace.cc.

ORM***No Fluff Just Stuff eXchange 2007 - August 29th-31^st , London, UK
The No Fluff Just Stuff (NFJS) Software Symposium is the premier
technical java/agility conference held throughout the US.  Skills Matter
and Big Sky Technology (the NFJS founders) have partnered to bring NFJS
to Europe and are organising the first ever NFJS eXchange
"http://www.nfjs-exchange.com/pcd/1133"
<http://www.nfjs-exchange.com/pcd/1133>  www.nfjs-exchange.com
<http://www.nfjs-exchange.com/>
Attend hands-on lectures on Java and Groovy, ESB/SOA, Ajax, Web
Services, Agile Software Development and Architecture at this highly
intensive 3-day event, aimed at senior Java Developers and Architects
who want to learn and understand how things work in practice.

For O'Reilly readers only, quote NFJS-ORE607, and receive £50 off the
current price.  Early bird discount ends July 15th.  Space is limited.
Registration is accepted on first-come, first-served basis.  Register
early to guarantee your attendance.  For more information on NFJS
eXchange, visit: "http://www.nfjs-exchange.com/pcd/1133"
<http://www.nfjs-exchange.com/pcd/1133>>www.nfjs-exchange.com
<http://www.nfjs-exchange.com/>

ORM***LinuxConf 2007, Cambridge, 2^nd -5^th September

At the start of September 2007 a series of linux events will take place
in Cambridge, UK. From Sunday 2nd to Tuesday 4th there'll be a signicant
new technical conference, incorporating the best elements from the UK
Unix User Group's <http://www.ukuug.org/> Linux Developers' Conferences
(2006 <http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2006/>) and the German Unix User
Group's <http://www.guug.de/> Linux-Kongress (2006
<http://www.linux-kongress.org/2006/>). Registration
<http://www.linuxconf.eu/2007/registration/> is now open by telephone,
email, fax and post. Online registration should be available in a few days.

ORM***d-Construct, Brighton, 7^th September

dConstruct is an affordable, one-day conference aimed at those designing
and building the latest generation of web-based applications. See
http://2007.dconstruct.org/

ORM***Pycon, Birmingham, 8-9 September

PyCon UK is a conference all about the Python programming language
<http://www.python.org/>, it's aimed at the Python community: Python
users and programmers, of all skill levels. Book now
http://www.pyconuk.org/booking.html

ORM***EuroBSD, Copenhagen, 14-15 September

The Sixth European BSD conference will take place at the Symbion Science
Park <http://uk.symbion.dk/>. Speakers include Sam Smith, Kirk McKusick
and many others. Register now http://2007.eurobsdcon.org/shop.html and
book your trip to Legoland http://2007.eurobsdcon.org/legoland.html

ORM*** Profoss <http://www.profoss.eu/>, 9-10 October - Brussels, Belgium

Profoss is geared towards IT professionals. People behind Profoss are IT
professionals and will take care to position Profoss as a reliable
source when you need information about Free and Open Source Software for
your enterprise. The theme of the first event is Asterisk
<http://www.asterisk.org/>, the open source telephone system, that
brings the flexibility needed to replace old and expensive PBX systems.

A more complete list of events can be found on www.oreillygmt.eu
<http://www.oreillygmt.eu/>

YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

Durham Computer Society reviewed –

Agile Web Development with Rails (2nd edition) -
http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/reviews/agile-web-development-2.html

DNS & Bind (5th edition) - http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/reviews/DNS-BIND-5.html

UKUUG reviewed –

Introduction to Neogeography
http://www.ukuug.org/books/reviews/Introduction%20to%20Neogeography/

Everyday Scriptingwith Ruby: For Teams, Testers and You
http://www.ukuug.org/books/reviews/Everyday%20Scripting%20with%20Ruby:%20For%20Teams,%20Testers%20and%20You/

Beyond Schemas: Planning your XML Model
http://www.ukuug.org/books/reviews/Beyond%20Schemas:%20Planning%20Your%20XML%20Model/

That’s all for now.