[Nottingham] ubuntu installation fails to handle hard disk - help

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Sat Jun 9 15:40:44 BST 2007

Hi,  I have just made a move to Ubuntu (from fedora) and now I am completely stuck!

After loading from CD, and selecting to install, I find that it has wiped the disk and repartitioned, but cannot write to the disk to do the installation! I have a Compaq Evo N1015 and on startup I saw for a brief moment a message about an error with the ali15x3 device.

I think it has to do with the non-standard install that I had to use to get fedora loaded -
"nomce ide=nodma pci=off" but cannot see where I put that in the ubuntu startup, or even if those commands are required to fix the problem.

Any advice gratefully received, as I am now having to run my machine from CD with no disk storage.

Godfrey