[Nottingham] ubuntu installation fails to handle hard disk - help

Jason Cozens jason.cozens at computer.org
Sun Jun 10 10:00:51 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 15:39 +0100, Godfrey Nix wrote:
> Hi,  I have just made a move to Ubuntu (from fedora) and now I am completely stuck!
>
> After loading from CD, and selecting to install, I find that it has wiped the disk and repartitioned, but cannot write to the disk to do the installation!

> I have a Compaq Evo N1015 and on startup I saw for a brief moment a message about an error with the ali15x3 device.
>
> I think it has to do with the non-standard install that I had to use to get fedora loaded -
> "nomce ide=nodma pci=off" but cannot see where I put that in the ubuntu startup, or even if those commands are required to fix the problem.
>
> Any advice gratefully received, as I am now having to run my machine from CD with no disk storage.

I had similar problems with an Evo N1015v.
Which version of ubuntu are you trying to install?
I had problems with 7.04.
I haven't resolved these yet but I did manage to install 6.06 without
any problems, though there seems to be a small issue with the graphics
as some buttons appear with lines on them until you move the mouse over
them.

Jason.