[Nottingham] web space security

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 08:51:58 BST 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 20:28:23 Rennacker Ed wrote:
> I recently bought web space for ; erm ; for fun. It is linux based with
> shell access and now I need to know:
> what is this .hta thingy. What do I do to keep guests from wandering my
> images folders (for example) What sort of security(ies) can I use?
> I want to read logs and email myself when 'events' happen. I want to set
> up the mail server for imap and keep others from using it to send stuff
> unnecessarily, etc.

Hi Ed,
Good to hear from you again. You need a primer on Apache (assuming Apache!)
htaccess: head on over to http://httpd.apache.org/docs/ and take a look at
the Authentication, Authorization and Access Control tutorial,
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html .
To get notification of certain events you could have a frequent cron script to
check some conditions or logs. Your webspace provider should be able to point
you in the right direction with respects to their email server facilities
unless you have a dedicated machine in which case you can choose from any of
the top IMAP/SMTP servers and your hosting company will probably have some
preference there too.

Let us know some more details - is this a hosting company that some other
members have experience with?

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Measure with a micrometer.  Mark with chalk.  Cut with an axe.