[Nottingham] nfs on fc6 - Help!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Jun 23 00:23:48 BST 2007

Martin wrote:
> OK Folks,
>
> I'm trying to set up a Fedora Core 6 system (with SELinux) to share a
> directory via nfs.
>
> portmapper, nfs, and nfslock are running,
> I've put the the line in /etc/exports to export the directory,
> done the exportfs -a,
> put ALL: 192.168. in /etc/hosts.allow,
>
> and, "showmount -e" on that host shows the export for the one IP address
> to be allowed.
>
> All looks good...
>
> Except that it don't work...
>

> Over on a Mandriva box to connect to it I get:
>
> /usr/sbin/showmount -e fc6pcAddr
> mount clntudp_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive
>
> And portmap is running on both machines, and no apparent errors...
>

> So what's the usual "gotchas" to check for next?

The best hint so far is:

"If you get the error Remote system error - No route to host, but you
can ping the server correctly, then you are the victim of an overzealous
firewall. Check any firewalls that may be set up, either on the server
or on any routers in between the client and the server."

Pings obviously work, but why no firewall errors anywhere...

Grrrrr...

martin at ml1.co.uk