[Nottingham] Email traceroute?

Richard Davies richard at tollyboy.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 20:07:57 BST 2007

On Thursday 28 June 2007 18:41, Edgar Jasper wrote:

Hi Edgar,

I am having the same sort of problems with Demon right now mail not arriving
that I know would have been sent. (Bid notifications from ebay, e-mails to
myself to check the system) not arriving some of them are now 2 days overdue
but others are getting through OK. I wonder if it is just damage to network
from the recent flooding.

Richard.

> Hi,
>
> Been a list subscriber for a while now. Haven't made
> many posts and any that I have made will be using a
> different email address because my normal email
> addresses aren't working - hence the question.
>
> The situation is as follows:
>
> I own the domain edgar.org.uk which I have with
> uk2.net. My uk2.net account is set up with email
> forwarding to forward various email addresses (eg.
> lists at edgar.org.uk) to my yahoo mail address (the one
> I'm sending from now).
>
> Over the last few days this has stopped working.
> Emails seem to be getting through when sent to the
> yahoo address but when sent to the @edgar.org.uk
> addresses they rarely get through and when they do get
> through they sometimes take days. Furthermore, the
> sender has no idea this is happening so I am losing
> mail with noone being aware of it.
>
> I reckon the problem lies with uk2.net and they don't
> deny this - although their responses have been pretty
> vague so I'm not sure they actually know it is them
> either.
>
> Firstly, any ideas in general anyone?
>
> Secondly, this set me to thinking - how are you
> supposed to diagnose email problems?  How do I work
> out where exactly the problem is? Is there some sort
> of 'email traceroute' tool available of linux to help
> me in this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edgar.

"Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."