[Nottingham] introduction

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 09:44:58 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 19:53, WietsE wrote:
> I've just subscribed to the list and thought I'd better introduce
> myself. My name is Wietse, I'm originally from the Netherlands but have
> lived in Nottingham for nearly 5 years now. I have on and off used linux
> but recently got really into it and have started growing a real
> affection to it.

Hi Wietse,
Welcome to the list (also spotted you on #nlug - please excuse our slowness in
response!).

> Also a real dislike of anything with a copyright tag
> on. Anyway, ever since a mate installed Kubuntu Dapper on my laptop I'm
> hooked. Although I'm interested in some of the more technical stuff that
> makes linux what it is, I'm definitely focussed on the accessebility and
> useability of it.

Yes, we have a lot of Ubuntu users at the moment, even a lot of our hardcore
Debian users are moving to it for the freedom and usability.

> For the last 2 years I have been heavily involved with the (all
> volunteer) independent media network 'Indymedia' (see:
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk) which runs over 150 open-publishing
> websites to facilitate citizen journalism worldwide. Since August 2005
> some of us have run a local part of it to focus more on local stories
> and issues (see: http://notts.indymedia.org.uk). I've also contributed
> to Wikipedia when and where I could but have recently focussed more on
> the Wikibooks project (see: http://en.wikibooks.org/). At the moment I
> live in Sneinton.

Cool. I've come across Indymedia a few times in my dealings with various
campaign groups.

> Anyway, I've been meaning to get 'round this for ages. Looking up the
> local user group and maybe get involved in some way, if I can find some
> time. I'll be around in IRC and hope to meet you all at some point.

I look forward to meeting you -- the IRC can seem rather slow: most of us have
a screen session so we're usually not actually "there"!

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
#if _FP_W_TYPE_SIZE < 32
#error "Here's a nickel kid.  Go buy yourself a real computer."