[Nottingham] introduction

WietsE wietse at indymedia.org
Wed Mar 7 22:23:34 GMT 2007

Hiya,

I've just subscribed to the list and thought I'd better introduce
myself. My name is Wietse, I'm originally from the Netherlands but have
lived in Nottingham for nearly 5 years now. I have on and off used linux
but recently got really into it and have started growing a real
affection to it. Also a real dislike of anything with a copyright tag
on. Anyway, ever since a mate installed Kubuntu Dapper on my laptop I'm
hooked. Although I'm interested in some of the more technical stuff that
makes linux what it is, I'm definitely focussed on the accessebility and
useability of it.

For the last 2 years I have been heavily involved with the (all
volunteer) independent media network 'Indymedia' (see:
http://www.indymedia.org.uk) which runs over 150 open-publishing
websites to facilitate citizen journalism worldwide. Since August 2005
some of us have run a local part of it to focus more on local stories
and issues (see: http://notts.indymedia.org.uk). I've also contributed
to Wikipedia when and where I could but have recently focussed more on
the Wikibooks project (see: http://en.wikibooks.org/). At the moment I
live in Sneinton.

Anyway, I've been meaning to get 'round this for ages. Looking up the
local user group and maybe get involved in some way, if I can find some
time. I'll be around in IRC and hope to meet you all at some point.

Cheers, Wietse