[Nottingham] Debian/apache2/suphp problems

Richard Hayes ricky at domainarena.net
Mon Mar 12 09:46:57 GMT 2007

Hi guys.

Slight emergency!

Some how I've managed to break our Debian Sarge's installation of Apache2 and suPHP. In a command prompt I typed:

apt-get remove openssl

(because I wanted to update to the latest version), and it went ahead and removed:

ns:~# apt-get remove openssl
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apache2 apache2-common apache2-mpm-prefork bincimap libapache2-mod-php5
  libapache2-mod-suphp openssl ssl-cert suphp-common webmin webmin-apache
  webmin-core
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 12 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 31.5MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 23676 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing apache2 ...
Removing libapache2-mod-php5 ...
This module is already disabled, or does not exist!
Removing webmin-apache ...
Removing apache2-mpm-prefork ...
Stopping web server: Apache2.
Removing bincimap ...
Removing webmin-core ...
Removing webmin ...
Stopping webmin: webmin.
Removing libapache2-mod-suphp ...
Your apache2 configuration is broken, so we're not restarting it for you.
Removing suphp-common ...
Removing apache2-common ...
Removing ssl-cert ...
Removing openssl ...

I've reinstalled webmin, openssl, suphp, apache and everything it mentions in the list above, but whenever I go to the website now and access a PHP script, I simply get a download box (of type application/x-httpd-php) and when I click open I see the PHP source... It serves HTML/images/static files fine.

I am the PHP programmer in this particular outfit, and the person that does the sysadmin is on holiday for 2 weeks (he only went on saturday!)... So I'm in a pickle!

Things I've tried so far to fix it are:

1. a2enmod suphp
2. a2enmod php5

But I think they were already enabled. Most of the configuration appears not to have been removed.

I've followed 2 tutorial about settingup php5 and suphp on apache2/debian, but neither helped (it was http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/84 and http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.howtoforge.com%2Fapache2_suphp_php4_php5&ei=AB_1RebaOaCg0ASjx827AQ&usg=__0KlK4MXGgK8bRd0OMlUO9fFgUoI=&sig2=JqlU2sI3kcO9C32OFKr4kA)...

So I really don't know what to try next!

Any suggestions fellas?!

Kind regards,

Richard Hayes
DomainArena