[Nottingham] Debian/apache2/suphp problems

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 10:30:48 GMT 2007

Richard,

> Slight emergency!
>
> Some how I've managed to break our Debian Sarge's installation of
> Apache2 and suPHP. In a command prompt I typed:
>
> apt-get remove openssl
>
> (because I wanted to update to the latest version), and it went ahead
> and removed:
>
> ns:~# apt-get remove openssl
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   apache2 apache2-common apache2-mpm-prefork bincimap libapache2-mod-php5
>   libapache2-mod-suphp openssl ssl-cert suphp-common webmin webmin-apache
>   webmin-core
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 12 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 31.5MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
! :-(
[---]
> saturday!)... So I'm in a pickle!
>
> Things I've tried so far to fix it are:
>
> 1. a2enmod suphp
> 2. a2enmod php5
>
> But I think they were already enabled. Most of the configuration appears
> not to have been removed.

The config files should have been left in place, or at least backup
copies made if changed by the new installs.

Have you got the relevant "Options ExecCGI" in the configs?

Or can you pull the whole lot back from last night's backups?

Good luck,
Martin

ps: DON'T PANIC! (In pink friendly letters ;-) )

martin at ml1.co.uk