[Nottingham] Linux Emporium Talk

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 21:12:20 BST 2007

On 31/03/07, namaste <marcel.taylor at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> JP: Not really. There's no documentation as such, it's all in the
> install scripts themselves, and we're not publishing them. We have given
> them to the Ubuntu developers, but they haven't done anything with them,
> which is very disappointing as they correct a couple of fundamental bugs
> in the Ubuntu acpi system as well as updating the data for Thinkpads and
> Lenovo 3000's. Producing documentation would be a costly exercise and
> wipe out any hope of profit from the laptop sales, which have a very low
> margin.

Does anybody else feel a bit uneasy with "it's all in the install
scripts themselves, and we're not publishing them" followed on by
"Producing documentation would be a costly exercise and wipe out any
hope of profit from the laptop sales, which have a very low margin."

Surely this kind of information would be very useful out in the public
domain to help developers create better ACPI support. It does seem
that Linux Emporium are putting profit before the community. Whatever
happened to sharing information and open source etc.

Simon