[Nottingham] Talk Talk Broadband

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 3 11:34:42 BST 2007

Dan Robertson wrote:
[---]
> is a bit of a simple question, but can anyone go into

The worst questions are those questions that fail to be asked...

> more detail about how you would connect via ethernet?

Use a patch lead with RJ45 plugs on either end? You would need a
'normal' patch lead, and not a 'crossover' cable.

> My previous internet connection was via a USB modem,
> and a lot of ISPs seem to assume that this is the way

When you sign up for the package, insist that you want a modem with an
ethernet connection. Many offer both.

USB connected "Win modems" always appear to be problematic. You'll have
to do a web search to see if there is an easy fix and how well it works.
You then still have higher CPU overheads using it than for using an
ethernet connected device.

If USB-only from the ISP and you still wish to use their service, then
another alternative is to buy an ADSL modem or ADSL modem-router for
yourself.

(Please delete unneeded previous posts in your replies, thanks.)

martin at ml1.co.uk