[Nottingham] Paypal Website Payments Pro and PHP

Richard Hayes ricky at domainarena.net
Mon May 14 12:30:49 BST 2007

Hello guys and gals.

Hope you're all well. Not strictly a Linux question, but more a PHP on a Linux platform question :)

Does anyone have any experience with having programmed an interface for PayPal's "Website Payments Pro" in PHP5?

<history>
My sister uses PayPal on her site to take payments the easy way (site -> paypal -> return to site), but it's putting people off who have a credit card. The callback is done by the IPN (instant payment notification), which is *OK* but it's sometimes slow to inform her site that a payment has been made, and so people think it has failed :(
</history>

So she has asked me if I can put a proper Credit Card authorisation system in, whereby it talks to PayPal in the background (using CURL perhaps?), and my script gets an instant Computer-Says-Yes/No answer without the customer leaving her site.

I've been reading through the PDFs, and they talk about getting the C development kits -- this is a problem since she hosts on a shared server, and she's not allowed SSH access or stuff like that.

Any pointers, ideas, would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks guys.

--Ricky