[Nottingham] Paypal Website Payments Pro and PHP

Tom Bird tom at marmot.org.uk
Mon May 14 13:50:03 BST 2007

Chris Burton wrote:
>> So she has asked me if I can put a proper Credit Card authorisation
>> system in, whereby it talks to PayPal in the background (using CURL
>> perhaps?), and my script gets an instant Computer-Says-Yes/No answer
>> without the customer leaving her site.
>
> I would expect it to be against their T&C to take credit card details and feed them to PayPal in the background. Have you thought about using something like Worldpay/Protx or even Google Checkout?

Frankly it would scare me more to think I was feeding my card details
into a PHP form knocked up by a bedroom hacker on a shared hosting box
than it would to just let pay pal have it.  Pay pal have a bit of an
"evil overlord" reputation, but at least their systems should have a
reasonable level of security.

Protx is looking a good option although bear in mind that there are
rules (with good reasons) around handling card numbers.

--
Tom

// www.portfast.co.uk -- internet services and consultancy
// hosting from 1.65 per domain