[Nottingham] Easy network programming

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu May 17 09:48:27 BST 2007

On 16 May 2007, at 23:20, Tom Bird wrote:

> Also, the requirement to become a LIR before multihoming might have
> a positive effect, raising the barrier to multihoming (when in a
> lot of cases its just not necessary) and reducing the number of
> tinpots with a couple of linux boxes filling up our routing tables.

I don't know about that.  One of the reasons multihoming is important
is for continuity.  One of my previous customers was an end site,
constituting a few linux boxes in a shed.  Their application had 1.2
million users at one point, and a day of connectivity loss would cost
them hundreds of thousands of pounds.

If an ISP wants to moan about their additional route in a routing
table, then they shouldn't pitch for business from other large
companies !