[Nottingham] [Social/Chat] Thurs 17/05/2007 - Informal Nav Beers'n'Chat

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat May 19 16:31:34 BST 2007

Michael Leuty wrote:
> On 18/05/07, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
[---]
>> Vista – End of the Dream?
>> By Dave Jewell
>> ("Unmaintainable.")
>
> I know (almost) nothing about programming, but I can understand that
> there are advantages in developing large software projects as a
> collection of small independent components that interact with each
> other in specified ways. Given the nature of the collaboration between
> open-source developers, GNU/Linux could hardly have been created any
> other way.

That's the whole idea of good software/systems design. However, there is
the same argument that the large monolithic kernel that is Linux is
pushing the boundaries in unadvantageous ways... Then again, the Hurd
hasn't taken off so there is the stronger argument that at least the
monolithic kernel is working and is working here now.

> Interestingly I see that Microsoft intend to make Windows Server 2008
> more modular:
>
> Things seem to be well into the "then they fight you" phase.  :-)

The tone and comments in that article are rather interesting in that
Windows Server is written up as very much being forced to play catch-up
to Linux.

Also, one rather interesting comment is:
"Microsoft knows from telemetry generated ... how many people were
running their beta in virtual versus physical environments."

... And the same telemetry features are in all of the more recent
Microsoft OSes...?

martin at ml1.co.uk