[Nottingham] re: old PC - idea

Richard Rothwell richardr at m6-it.org
Sun Nov 18 13:16:58 GMT 2007

Hi All,

We're working in Nottingham using Linux PCs for socially excluded families -
year 7's found through 4 schools.  Funding is coming from the Regeneration
budget.  We are using (yuk) Virgin to provide Internet access this year, but
working on a community wireless solution for future years.

Anyway,  a friend of mine in Manchester has been working on a scheme,
providing local support for computers.  His plan was something like...

* £175 for a computer - recycled with a Linux os.
* This includes 3 x 1 hour support vouchers to be used in the first year.
* Customers can buy more vouchers should they need them in that year or the
future.

I've mailed a copy of the discussion to him for his interest, so he might get
involved in the discussion.

rgds,
Richard

PS - if anyone has spare computers, or knows somewhere that needs clearing in
Notts or the area please let me know as we are still looking for a load of
older PCs - 500MHz plus.

Richard Rothwell,                                 richardr at m6-it.org
Education Consultant                                http://m6-it.org
                                             A PRINCE2 aware company

Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail
M6-IT CIC ``Software Freedom for the Education and Voluntary Sector''

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT