[Nottingham] Linux laptop

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 22:30:41 GMT 2007

I recommend Dell. I use a Dell Inspiron, bought a few months ago and I run
Kubuntu. I've not had any problems and with an Ubuntu installation it'll
probably "just work." I have an ATI graphcs card inside it, which does
require a binary driver (which is trivial to set up with Ubuntu) although
you can choose a different model without the more expensive graphics cards.

Cheap, reliable and fantastic!

On 20/11/2007, John Cremona <john.cremona at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering the same thing, and had considered one of the Lenovo
> Thinkpads (was IBM) as supplied by the Linux Emporium with Ubuntu
> pre-installed.
>
> If anyone else has any experience with those it would be useful to hear!
>
> John Cremona
>
> On 20/11/2007, martin <martin at stupids.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for advice on a good laptop to run Linux on.
> >
> > What I care about:
> >
> > - Small and light.
> > - Fast.
> > - Supported graphics without binary drivers.
> > - Supported wireless without binary drivers.
> > - x86-64
> >
> > What I don't care about:
> >
> > - Disk size. (anything available these days would be more than enough)
> > - Audio / speaker quality.
> > - dvd/r/rw/blah features. (as long as it can read)
> > - Price. (within reason)
> > - Anything else I haven't mentioned.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > --