[Nottingham] Linux laptop

Christopher Joice linuxisthefuture at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 09:58:23 GMT 2007

I use a Dell Inspiron 1501, again it has ATI but there are open source
divers out there for it, I just couldn't get them to do accelerated GL,
but probably my own fault.
The arch install disk didn't boot, so I just booted some other distro's
live cd and installed from there.
Nothing fancy on here, just 2gb of ram, AMD X2 Turion @ 2Ghz (Stepping
down to 0.8GHz working fine), keyboard, touchpad, screen and broadcom
wifi. Which again needs binary feeding to it but the driver is open.
Oh, and I went for the biggest battery they offered, so I get about 3
hours out of it with normal use. Which includes multimedia more often
than not.

Previously I had a HP DV6152eu, it went in for repair 5 times in about 9
months. The bios was also buggy so Linux was unstable and often
crashed / froze / needed me to force an unexpected reboot (a.k.a. unplug
and remove battery). I'm informed I got the tail end of the bad HP
laptops. Currently up for sale :-)

Thanks,
Christopher Joice