[Nottingham] Linux in 18 MBytes?

Michael Simms michael at linuxgamepublishing.com
Wed Nov 28 13:24:27 GMT 2007

You're pushing it on 18MB RAM, Ive done similar. Ive had Linux running
on 16MB disc space and 32MB memory, with X11, Netscape, Java, Flash, and
networking support, but it took a couple of weeks to make it all work.

I dont know the footprint of the 2.6 kernels, this was using a 2.2
kernel. We compiled the kernel till it was utterly minimalistic for what
we needed, took a standard distro (pretty much any will do) and stripped
it down.

Busybox was great for space-saving. We removed maybe 10MB of
applications for a 200K single executable plus symlinks (this helps in
memory use as well as disc, as it allows sharing of memory on the exe.

If you dont want X11, I'd say you are fine for 18MB memory, with X, you
will be pushing it, and you certainly cant have a window manager, unless
you are talking twm, it would take you too high.

Michael

--
Michael Simms, CEO - Linux Game Publishing LTD
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com