[Nottingham] Linux in 18 MBytes?

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Wed Nov 28 14:06:33 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 13:24 +0000, Michael Simms wrote:
> If you dont want X11, I'd say you are fine for 18MB memory, with X, you
> will be pushing it, and you certainly cant have a window manager, unless
> you are talking twm, it would take you too high.

TWM is huge. No, seriously.

I did a round up of minimalist Window Managers a few years
ago [1]. The published version isn't as readable as the
one I sent to them <shrugs> [2], but the table on the last
page shows the RAM usage of the featured WMs. Note that
evilwm only uses 0.1MB   :)

Alternatively you could replace the X-Windows System with
something much smaller [3]

hth,

 - Richard

[1] http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/pdfs/LXF65.round.pdf
[2] Bitter writers fo a lot of shrugging, but editors are
    a lot more bitter: after all they have to talk to all
    of the writers :-/
[3] http://www.microwindows.org/
    http://picogui.org/   [functioning, but suffering bitrot]

Richard Smedley,                                          rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                      www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                         +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2 [TM] Project Management
Training * Certification * Support * Networking * Web * Database * CRM

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,                Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:       4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/ Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                     contact matthew at m6-it.org