[Nottingham] WIFI Hardware

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:05:53 BST 2007

Hi, sorry for the bleated reply.

I can't connect to the AP's setup page, nope. As far as I can tell,
nothing changed before/after my holidays. The manual states the AP's
default IP is 192.168.0.227 (which is on the same subnet as my router
and other boxes) but which is also the IP of my main machine.

It should be given a new IP automatically though - so I think that
something is going wrong with the DNS.

Any hints?

On 10/10/2007, Edward <rennackered at netscape.net> wrote:
> Danny King wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > This is not really a Linux issue, but since the list has been quiet in
> > the last few days I hope this post will be all right.
> >
> > I bought a second hand Netgear WIFI access point which was working
> > perfectly for about a month or so. I then went on holiday (leaving the
> > a.p. unplugged) only to find it not working when I got back. Running a
> > nmap network scan does not show the adapter to have joined the
> > network, although the LED 'network activity' indicator lights up. I
> > have a router with DHCP set up, so that should be automatic.
> >
> > I've also tried taking the access point to a friend's house and I had
> > the same issues.
> >
> > Any ideas on what the problem may be? I was thinking perhaps the
> > antenna is broken?
> >
> > I apologise if this is too far off topic, thanks in advance!
> >

> Network light shows physical connection so my guess is it changed itself
> on start-up from some setting back to a default like ad-hoc to
> infrastructure mode.
> If the antenna has malfunctioned wouldn't the lan side still be
> connected? You will need to look at the setup. Netgear uses some
> different default ip addy like 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.231

-------
 -Danny King