[Nottingham] Which programming language (RE: O'Reilly Books)

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Thu Sep 13 21:37:28 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 20:49 +0100, Steve Caddy wrote:
> Essentially, Ada locks you into getting the dataflow design right
> first time.

Which is why so many people hate it I suppose ;-P
Seriously, I'm trying to find time to investigate further,
is anyone else on the LUG also interested?

> > Have you looked at the newly-OO ADA2005 yet?
>
> Not seen 2005 yet. I'll have to see if I can get a new copy of Barnes or
> something like that. Ada95 is OO (or that was the intention). I have no idea
> what new features 2005 has... that would be an interesting talk (for me to
> listen to).

Well, you might like to start with the series of papers at:
http://www.adacore.com/home/ada_answers/ada_2005

With a pretty good summary from page 3 onwards of:
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/Ada05_rational_00.pdf

& OO improvements (especially to compatibility with other langs) at:
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/Ada05_rational_01.pdf

Cheers,

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org