[Nottingham] My Suse 10.2 is broke

Edward rennackered at netscape.net
Mon Sep 24 07:05:58 BST 2007

Thanks Again!
 :(
No joy as yet. I used a live cd to boot and then mounted the SuSe
partition. Even trying to boot to 'single' mode gave me a password
request and the same login loop. And I thought there was no pswd during
single mode?
I have searched log files all over the Suse partition and found mostly
Samba messages, normal messages and I even saw the 'CPU microcode not
supported' message.  :) (during single boot I got a microcode error and
did not know what that was, now? I do.)
Nothing of value and I have run out of files to search.
===  I would really like a log of what happens from when I press enter
after a password until the login prompt (screen) returns. ===

I _may_ have seen a message about a problem with pam.d, but my Linux
skills are limited. I have forgotten more than I know and I am not even
sure why I get a password prompt during single boot.(it's a SuSe thing?
modern security improvements? a knock-on of the original error?)

edit: I have run out of files to search, well, until just now and
reading the post from DB, which made me think of var/xorg/xorg.0.log;
which I haven't tried 'cause I think it has nothing to do with X, but
that doesn't mean there won't be /something/ there. I have class on
Thursdays, but I am determined to 'save' this error until someone that
knows what they are doing can look at this for me, with me there to learn.

Cheers