[Nottingham] Tape Backup Systems

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Fri Apr 11 10:15:46 BST 2008

> Also in terms of hardware, I have been looking at SCSI LTO drives of
> various
> brands, is there anything I should look out for when choosing hardware?
> obviously the more opensource happy the hardware is the better, one such
> device I looked at was a freecom

I hate tapes :) - More recently I've just used USB HDD for client backups
and had the user rotate them daily on the end of a usb cable. I find them
much more reliable vs tapes.

That along with a script to detect which USB device had been plugged in,
format new ones, rsync over the data and then send a report at the end of
the night works well for me YMMV.

ChrisB.