[Nottingham] USB flashing your distro?

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 13:14:58 BST 2008

Andy,

>  generally pointless as modern flash media
>  doesn't have a low write cycle limit.  They will last for tens of
>  years while writing 24/7.

That's debatable, I've used CF cards of the type you describe (512Mb
and later 1Gb ones) in an embedded situation and they do fail. In fact
it's almost impossible to find someone who will sell you cards
guaranteed to last for years and years of unlimited writing.

Apart from the flash wearing out and the data getting corrupted, most
consumer CF cards cope badly with random power cycles.

-Cam