[Nottingham] USB flashing your distro?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 16 14:00:19 BST 2008

Hi Camilo,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:14:56PM +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> Andy,
>
> >  generally pointless as modern flash media
> >  doesn't have a low write cycle limit.  They will last for tens of
> >  years while writing 24/7.
>
> That's debatable, I've used CF cards of the type you describe (512Mb
> and later 1Gb ones) in an embedded situation and they do fail.

But are you sure it was due to them running out of write cycles?
Hard disks fail too.

> In fact it's almost impossible to find someone who will sell you
> cards guaranteed to last for years and years of unlimited writing.

True, but with the very low cost of these products I am not
surprised they aren't willing to state anything complicated like
that.  Crucial offer a lifetime warranty.  Kingston offer a lifetime
warranty.  SanDisk offer a 5 year warranty.

Kingston CF media is rated for 10,000 write cycles per sector with
wear levelling - they state that this will last for 27 years of
rewriting the entire media once per day.

Cheers,
Andy