[Nottingham] booting into RAID + LVM

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 20:01:10 BST 2008

Peter Woods wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> OK, I've got grub booting into a RAID partition of "/", so far so good.
>>
>> Now... Can grub manage a boot into a RAID + LVM?...
>>
>> My first attempts suggest that it can't. Or can it?
[---]
> Is it not conventional to have /boot as a stand-alone partition?
> Or is that just taking the easy way?
> (Nothing wrong with that sometimes.)

That's far too easy! :-p

You can easily have /boot as a separate RAID partition, all well and good.

However, I've tried to have "/" as a volume on LVM on a RAID partition
and there were various complaints about "/" couldn't be found...

Having "/" on it's own RAID partition and then everything else on LVM on
top of RAID works fine.

... So is this just a quirk of the Mandriva 2008.1 installer or am I
chasing a non-starter for including "/" or even "/boot" in the LVM?

martin at ml1.co.uk