OT: Phrases & SEX! (Re: [Nottingham] Eee PC news)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 17:10:03 BST 2008

Michael Leuty wrote:
> On 25/04/2008, Nancy Van Schooenderwoert <vanschoo at speakeasy.net> wrote:
[---]
>>   Nice try - my sister's already "spoken for"!
>
> When I used that phrase on this list two and a half years ago I
[---]
> I have felt disinclined to comment here ever since.
>
> I am relieved that your remark has not elicited an adverse response.
> Perhaps middle aged men are sexist until proven otherwise, while women
> are given the benefit of the doubt? Gallantry is not yet dead.

That was an extreme example from long ago by an 'outsider' whom had and
has never been seen at a group meeting. It was more a case of trying to
force fanatical absolutes upon everyone and of near zero understanding,
rather than a case of offering useful discussion or observation to
promote any sort of change... All now long long ago.

Considering the hundreds on this list, we get remarkably little
adversity. Perhaps linux does indeed promote a good sense of positive
community across a wide range of backgrounds and beliefs.

[random ramblings]

As for the phrase "spoken for", the nature of the meaning is all in the
interpretation and assumed intent. You can even find the phrase used in
such as a real heavyweight[1] that I'm reading at the moment and that
has nothing to do with Human impositions!

It's all in the interpretation. Socrates anyone :-)

Taking sexism and sensitivities to the extreme we'd all be moderated out
of existence! We would be rather dull and sad if we can't make any
(harmless) jokes or innuendo on occasion. Especially so considering the
extreme male:female ratio in our (or any) computers related group.

OK, so perhaps I should try to be less scary and trim my beard more
often...! (Any who read Shakespear of c500 YEARS AGO can have a little
giggle at that 'harmless' comment also!!)

Having mentioned that, we've seen at least a couple of couples from the
group become "spoken for" /for each other/ ...

Perhaps we should consider more the /meanings/ rather than just the mere
words. Words and phrases and their usage evolve.

[/random ramblings]

Onwards now for useful linux and social discussions...

Cheers All,
Martin

[1] http://www.metaresearch.org/cosmology/gravity/speed_limit.asp

martin at ml1.co.uk