[Nottingham] webhosting problems

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 17:33:37 GMT 2008

Hi,

I can't recommend http://www.5quidhost.co.uk/ enough! Their pricing is
beyond excellent and their service & response times are borderline
ridiculous (in the good way!)

Try them out, even with their free plans they are amazing with the support.
And to add icing to the cake, if you say that you're a LUG member when you
join they'll give you a discount! (They're members too)

Only flip side is that ssh access is temporarily disabled because of some
sort of a worm that's going around - but that's hardly their fault.

On 10/02/2008, gadget.pat <gadget.pat at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope you are all well. As the mailing list is quiet, I thought I would
>   take advantage.
>
> Questions first then the story
>
> Q1: How would you rate Student Web Hosting as a hosting company?
>
> Q2: Best solution to a compromised site (brief Nu B answers please)
>
> Q3: Any suggestions for a different hosting company and the chance that
> I can get some sort of part refund from my present hosting company?
>

> One of the issues I have is with my webhosting company. I am with
> Student Web Hosting. Has anyone had/having dealings with them? The only
> contact you have with them is via email and if they decide not to mail
> you back (a week so far in my case) then you get a bit frustrated. The
> fact that I have just paid another years subscription before I required
> support is also adding to my annoyance.
>
> Anyway, I have not needed to contact them for anything since I signed up
> with them a few years ago and now that I need info and support from
> them, it is not forthcoming. To cut the long story short.....
>
> I found out that my site had been compromised. The ftp section was being
> used for naughty things and and naughty people and as I had not checked
> the site for a while, I didn't know there was a problem. I only found an
> issue when I recieved the bill for my next 12 months hosting. I couldn't
> see the image I had put up on my site and thought they had taken my site
> down early or something. I paid the bill thinking the site would be
> enabled again but no joy. I logged into my sites control panel and this
> is when I found it had been compromised. I mailed SWH and got a not so
> helpfull reply. When I tried to log onto my site a few days later, I had
> no access at all. I found out by chance that the server that my site was
> being hosted on had been taken down permanently but I had not been
> given/mailed details of what server I would now have to use. This is
> what I am still waiting for a reply on. Until I get the details of the
> server to use, I can't sort the ftp issue out. Until they reply to my
> query, I am paying for a site I can't log into or use.
>
> Any words of wisdom, solutions or course of action would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> pat

-------
-Danny King