[Nottingham] Perl

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 13:05:56 GMT 2008

On 6 Jan 2008, at 12:57, Jonathan wrote:
> On 06/01/2008, Joshua Lock <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>
>> I know this question gets asked every so often and I'm certain I've
>> asked it before (but several years ago); I'm looking to learn Perl.
>>
>> I'll probably use a small web project I am planning as a starting
>> point because I learn better by applying the stuff I'm learning.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend:
>> * Web resources (tutorials and documentation)
>> * Toolkits (for web development)
>> * Books (perhaps to be lent to me at the next meeting :)
>
> Your post comes at a very welcome time.
> An excellent excuse to procrastinate from exam revision!

As if excuses where ever needed for such things!

> The limited perl I know was learnt out of the notorious 'Programming
> Perl' by Wall, Christiansen and Orwant
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0596000278). Much appreciated was the
> 'Overview of Perl' given in the first chapter which gears you up with
> enough knowledge to start getting hands dirty (admittedly I haven't
> progressed past this yet).
> You're welcome to borrow my copy of the 3rd Edition at the next meet.

A loan of that book would be most welcome :)

>> Speaking of meetings, what and when is the next?
>
> Good question! Aren't you due to give a talk soon? :)

I don't know what you mean, at the very least I'm not ready to give a
talk at this time...
I know several talks have been volunteered, myself included, but as
it's a stressful time for everyone perhaps we should just have a
social. Catch up, show and tell of Christmas toys, try and plan what
and when for upcoming meets?

- J
--
Joshua Lock