[Nottingham] Perl

Jonathan john00 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 12:57:33 GMT 2008

On 06/01/2008, Joshua Lock <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,

> I know this question gets asked every so often and I'm certain I've
> asked it before (but several years ago); I'm looking to learn Perl.
>
> I'll probably use a small web project I am planning as a starting
> point because I learn better by applying the stuff I'm learning.
>
> Can anyone recommend:
> * Web resources (tutorials and documentation)
> * Toolkits (for web development)
> * Books (perhaps to be lent to me at the next meeting :)

Your post comes at a very welcome time.
An excellent excuse to procrastinate from exam revision!

The limited perl I know was learnt out of the notorious 'Programming
Perl' by Wall, Christiansen and Orwant
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0596000278). Much appreciated was the
'Overview of Perl' given in the first chapter which gears you up with
enough knowledge to start getting hands dirty (admittedly I haven't
progressed past this yet).
You're welcome to borrow my copy of the 3rd Edition at the next meet.

> Speaking of meetings, what and when is the next?

Good question! Aren't you due to give a talk soon? :)

Best, Jonathan