[Nottingham] ASUS eee PC

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 23:13:49 GMT 2008

Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> Hello folks,
> At the meeting before Christmas a number of people brought along or were
> getting shiny new ASUS eee PCs.   Would anyone who has one be willing to
> post a review now you have had a few weeks to play with it ?

I'll concur that the keyboard is too small. Good enough if all you want
is to ssh into servers from whatever outback location...

I had a surreal conversation with a Windows user whom had been given one
as a Christmas present. No concept of what Linux was and he found the
GUI to be "patronizing". He just simply wanted Windows Vista on there! I
directed him to Google for what others had done with their eees...

In brevity:

It's the sort of size and capability that I've been looking for for some
time. However, I ain't buying one! The keyboard and screen are too
small... Yet I want something physically small... OK, so it's just too
small!

Something that weight, slightly larger and capable of displaying 3/4 of
a web page would be about right. Otherwise, why not just stick to your
mobile phone cum web enabled PDA?

martin at ml1.co.uk