[Nottingham] ASUS eee PC

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 10:27:12 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 15:48 +0000, Roger Light wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:27:11PM +0000, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
>
> > At the meeting before Christmas a number of people brought along or
> > were getting shiny new ASUS eee PCs.   Would anyone who has one be
> > willing to post a review now you have had a few weeks to play with it?
>
> I don't have one, but I persuaded work that we need one so I should be
> able to comment a while after it has arrived.
>
> >From playing with one at pc world, my biggest concern is that the
> keyboard is too small.

That was my impression too.   I am also interested in:
How the applications perform - the spec 900Mhz celery + 512 MB + SSD
look reasonable but is openoffice actually usable on that tiny screen ?
Realistically, how long does the battery lasts ?
Do the sleep modes actually work (and work well) ?

At ~ 1 Kg in weight and having an external VGA port I am still
interested in it as a device for doing presentations on foreign work
trips.  They could also become a poor mans cluster nodes for developing
parallel algorithms.

Have fun,
Duncan