[Nottingham] Perl

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:48:05 GMT 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 3:06 PM, Duncan John Fyfe <djf at star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 12:44 +0000, Joshua Lock wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I know this question gets asked every so often and I'm certain I've
> > asked it before (but several years ago); I'm looking to learn Perl.
> >
> > I'll probably use a small web project I am planning as a starting
> > point because I learn better by applying the stuff I'm learning.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend:
> > * Web resources (tutorials and documentation)
> > * Toolkits (for web development)
> > * Books (perhaps to be lent to me at the next meeting :)
> >

> First a word of advice about managing perl especially in a production
> environment.  It is best to either use (and limit yourself to) perl and
> perl modules as packaged for your distro OR do a handcrafted perl +
> modules install from CPAN (not difficult).  Mixing distro and CPAN
> modules can be painful (think two dependency management systems
> colliding mid-air) and causes unnecessary problems.

Good to know before I get to far in, thanks.

[snip lots of really useful looking perldoc tips]

Thanks folks, I'll be keeping these emails around for reference. They
are crammed full of good stuff.

I just found a (1st edition) copy of the (pink!?!) camel book lying
around at work which I'm going to borrow for a while to work through
the basics. The problem is it doesn't seem to have anything about cgi
in it. Does anyone have any pointers on tutorials for perl cgi? Or is
the idea that by the time I've finished with the camel book I'll be
competent enough to suss cgi out with perldoc???

Thanks!

--
Joshua Lock
incandescant at gmail.com