[Nottingham] Setting MySQL version compatibility?

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 14:33:41 GMT 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 10:30:34 Martin wrote:
> > The MySQL question is...
> > Given a MySQL 5.xx installation, is there a tweak so that it only
> > accepts MySQL 4.xx queries/instructions so that you can guarantee all
> > will work just the same on whatever 4.xx series MySQL?
> Or for a variation on that question...
> For a few web pages using MySQL via php, am I likely to get away with
> using the same web pages and data unchanged ok on both MySQL 5 and MySQL 4?
> Or will that be a nightmare of subtle differences and brokenness?

Why conjecture when you can suck it and see? Seriously: there's too many
variables and complete unknowns there for me to make an (almost) educated
guess. You have the data, so just try it out.

If you want better system assurance you may want to develop some database unit
tests.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic, but one of them is
paranoid and the other one is out to get him.